Saturday, May 29, 2010

Be. Do. Have.

I took a class over ten years ago where they talked about the Be Do Have principle.  If we "be" the thing called centered (or calm, healthy, focused, or whatever) then we start "doing" things from this place of beingness -- soon, what you are doing brings you what you have always wanted to "have." 

It makes intuitive sense, right?  Be. Do. Have.

It is easy to fall into the Do Have Be camp.  If we do these certain things we will have these certain things and then we will be this certain way.  Sound familiar to anyone?  If I go to the gym five days a week I will have a tight body and then I will be healthy or happy.  If I work overtime I will have more money and then I will be happy. 

What about Have Do Be examples?  If I have this fancy car I will drive it all the time and I will be happy. 

Don't get me wrong there is not a good, bad, right, or wrong way to operate.  There is a time and a place for everything.  I know perfectly successful people who operate in one or many ways of being and can shift between them when necessary.  It's a beautiful thing.

Since this blog is really about a road to health, I wanted to lay a strong foundation.  For instance, if someone began to manage food rigidly but lost the pleasure of eating in the process, they don't achieve full wellness.  If someone adheres so closely to a fitness regimen that they lose the joy of movement, that would not be healthy either. 

People may make many changes to their eating or exercise habits.  The changes should be something that are enjoyable and aligned with the ultimate goal of wellness.

Click here for this shirt:


No comments:

Post a Comment