Saturday, June 5, 2010

Alkaline Salad Dressing

Thanks to my mother-in-law (Betty Mellon) and sister-in-law (Paula Mellon) I have gotten more creative with my salads.  I used to do the same boring salad and by week two I was over the whole veggie experience.  I honestly love my salads now & will share my favorites.  I would LOVE for you to share your favorite salads.  You can email me at seattlemelissa@gmail.com or post them in the comments below.

The one thing that bothered me about my salads was that my salad dressing was acidic.  In one recipe, I used balsamic vinegar. In another, I used seasoned rice vinegar.  I pretty much knew that any good I was doing with my alkaline veggies was completely offset by my acidic dressing.

Just tonight I discovered this recipe for alkaline salad dressing and I could not wait to share:
1/3 cup fresh lemon or lime juice
2/3 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
1/2 clove minced garlic
1 teaspoon oregano
Dash of salt and cayenne pepper

Here are my favorite salads these days:

Salad #1:
Romaine, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced avocados, sliced green onion, and artichoke hearts (these are not alkaline but I love them too much). 

Salad #2:
Spring mix lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes, red onion, sliced radishes, sliced cucumbers, sliced carrots.  Sunflower seeds are also alkaline.

As an aside, I was checking out store bought salad dressings today.  I was appalled at the rotten ingredients: high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated everything, monosodium glutamate, Red #40, etc.  It blows my mind that salad dressing contains this stuff.

Small changes in our lives will make a big difference in our health.

No comments:

Post a Comment