Sunday, July 4, 2010

Vegetable Soup

My husband probably thinks I am crazy because I made vegetable soup on the 4th of July.  I cannot explain why this sounded so good to me, but I did not fight the urge!   I have no doubt the grill will be put to good use tomorrow...

I have made this recipe twice and it is great because it is easy to prepare and there are usually leftovers.  Leftovers double as a quick mid-week meal and a freezer store-for-later meal.  There is a link below for fabulous dinner rolls too.


The Best Vegetable Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup thinly sliced celery
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
Coarse salt and pepper
3 - 14.5 oz cans of low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 -28 oz can of diced tomatoes, with juice
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
8 cups of vegetables (choose your favorites: potato, green beans, peas, corn, zucchini, carrots)

Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions, celery, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.  Cook, stirring frequently for five to eight minutes. 

Add broth, diced tomatoes with juice, tomato paste and 3 cups of water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.

Add vegetables to pot, and return to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Let cool before storing.

Source: http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Best-Vegetable-soup-Recipes

Favorite dinner rolls (and favorite recipe blog):
http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2009/11/thanksgiving-dinner-101-the-rolls.html

No comments:

Post a Comment