Friday, January 14, 2011

Magnificent Magnesium

In 2009, after nearly four years of relentless stress, I decided to take a break from the stress-cycle and replenish myself with nourishment, sleep, fun, family, friends, and sunshine.  Easier said than done.  I thought that vacations, vitamins, and exercise would be a quick fix but feeling great did not happen overnight. 

And then I met magnesium.   We clicked.  Not quite as magical as Vitamin D.  But still magnificent.

Stupid me I assumed that:
1. I was getting plenty of magnesium in my diet and
2. That it was abundant in my multi-vitamin

"Magnesium is a vital catalyst in enzymes involved in energy production." 
"...a deficiency can interfere with nerve and muscle impulses, causing irritability and nervousness." 
"...aids in maintaining the body's proper pH." 
"...aids in maintaining normal body temperature." 
"...possible manifestations of deficiency include cardiac arrhythmia." 
"...is effective in preventing premature labor."

Keep in mind that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's RDAs (recommended daily allowances) do not account for the amount needed to maintain maximum health, only the amount needed to prevent deficiency. 

Your doctor can test for magnesium deficiency.  Magnesium deficiency is very common in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment